The fantasy world of the Wizard of Oz has been interpreted into books (creator L. Frank Baum wrote 14 sequels), plays, Broadway musicals and movies since we were first introduced to Dorothy and the Yellow Brick Road over a century ago. It is also a big favourite with developers of casino games too, with several titles based on, or loosely based on, Baum’s magical world. The most well-known is probably the “Wizard of Oz” by WMS, but several other variations popular with casino players. The casinos below are among the best to offer the Wizard of Oz slots.
The applicable casino’s T&C apply for each offer below and we encourage you to review them. Click “Get Bonus” for more information
Best Wizard Of Oz Online Casinos You Can Play Right Now
Good Apps & Mobile Site High Roller Welcome Bonus Plenty of Promotions
Mobile Friendly Platform Fast Withdrawal Times Lofty Welcome Bonus Package
Various Software Providers Strong Instant Play Platform Big VIP Bonus
Most Popular Wizard Of Oz Slot Games
As mentioned, there are several top online slots themed on OZ, most of which feature characters from the iconic 1939 movie. WMS (Williams) and its parent company, SGC (Scientific Games Corporation), have developed the original, Wizard of Oz, and its sequels: “Ruby Slippers”, “Road to Emerald City” and “Wicked Riches”. Mobile specialist developers like Zynga (creator of Farmville) also have Oz titles including “Wizard of Oz Slots” and “Magic Match”. Ash Gaming offers the popular “Winnings of Oz” slot, which offers their own interpretation of characters rather than taking the imagery directly from the Judy Garland movie.
While it’s a little bit confusing to have so many slots with similar titles, each has its own unique identity, style and special features. Three of the best Oz games are discussed in detail below:
The Wizard of Oz by WMS
Arguably the most faithful to the 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz slot, uses officially licensed images, video clips and audio from the iconic MGM production. The slot has an RTP of 95.99%. The lowest bet amount is 30p per spin (1p per payline), while some casinos will allow up to £90 per spin.
The game has five reels and 30 paylines, all paying left to right in a standard slot format. Wild Symbols will substitute for all others except Feature or Jackpot Symbols. Wild Symbols appear on all reels and can form their own line wins.
If three Scatter Symbols land on Reels 1, 3 and 5, you will be awarded the main bonus feature. You will be prompted to choose one of the symbols to reveal either a cash prize or one of the following two features:
- Winged Monkey Feature: 8 ‘free’ games are awarded, during which a Winged Monkey Symbol can fall on the centre reel. If this occurs, Wild Symbols will be randomly added to the reels and wins recalculated. ‘Free’ games cannot be retriggered.
- Emerald City Feature: You will be prompted to choose emeralds to reveal cash prizes (relative to your total bet). You can also reveal symbols of the main characters – Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin-Man and the Cowardly Lion. You can collect the characters symbols for a final extra payout when revealing the Emerald City symbol.
At any time during the main game, the Good Witch can appear and turn up to five reels into Stacked Wild Symbols.
While five Jackpot Symbols on a payline will pay £100 when betting the lowest amount and £30,000 at the highest amount, it’s not, in fact, the biggest payout from a single spin. That comes when the entire reel set becomes filled with Wild Symbols, possible during the Good Witch Feature and Winged Monkey Feature. Achieving that will pay three times as much as the standard Jackpot.
All the same features and payouts are available on the Wizard of Oz mobile slot. The majority of our recommended casinos will have mobile apps available for iPhone through the iTunes store and Android through the Google Play store. All of the Wizard of Oz slots from WMS, including those mentioned below, are well-suited to a mobile casino platform, although we’d recommend that you use a modern device to get the best experience of the audio and video clips featured in the games.
Wizard of Oz: Road to the Emerald City by WMS
Using the same imagery and audio as the original Wizard of Oz slot, WMS created something totally different in terms of gameplay with its 2014 release of the Road to the Emerald City. You can bet from 35p per spin right up to a maximum of £70. The RTP is 96.00%.
At first glance, Road to the Emerald City looks like an ‘old-school’ Bars and 7s slot, featuring just three reels and nine paylines. However, there are several bonus features that can be triggered when getting three or more symbols with emeralds anywhere in view. There are two types of Wild Symbols, one of which is stacked double on the reels. All combinations pay left to right.
If three symbols with emeralds on them appear anywhere on screen, you will be taken to the bonus and awarded one of seven features:
- Tin-Man Winning Spin: A Wild Symbol covers the middle reel, with re-spins occurring until a win is achieved. Each non-winning re-spin increases the multiplier up to a maximum of x25.
- Cowardly Lion Multipliers: 1 ‘free’ spin is awarded, with one reel containing Wild Multipliers (up to x25). Any emerald symbols will also turn wild.
- Scarecrow Crow Prizes: 1-3 crows will land on Scarecrow’s head, awarding a cash prize and a possible multiplier up to x5.
- Wicked Witch Free Spins: 3 ‘free’ spins are awarded. A Witch Wild covers all of Reel 1. Any subsequent Wild Symbols or emeralds that fall on the reels become Persistent Wilds, staying in place for the duration of the feature.
- Toto Emerald Trails: Unlimited ‘free’ spins are awarded. Emeralds are collected during the spins to fill in a trail for cash prizes. 3 Pooper symbols will end the bonus.
- Glinda the Good Witch Booster: A different bonus is awarded (from the other six), but a multiplier (up to x 5) or cash prize is added to the total.
- Dorothy Free Spins: 5-20 ‘free’ spins are awarded. During Dorothy Free Spins, Emeralds are collected and can award one of the other bonuses (except the Good Witch Booster), which are played before returning to the Dorothy Free Spins feature. 5-20 extra ‘free’ spins can be awarded by landing three or more emerald symbols in a spin.
During the main game, some symbols can have a x2 attached to them. These will double the payout of any winning combination.
The highest paying symbol win in the base game, achieved with 3 Wizard of Oz Wild Symbols on payline, will pay £50 for the minimum bet and £10,000 when betting the maximum. However, there are so many higher paying combinations possible in the bonus features. For example, the Tin-Man Winning Spin can award 25 times that amount. Thus, this does not reflect fully the game’s payout potential.
Wizard of Oz: Ruby Slippers by WMS
A game more similar in style and format to WMS’ original Wizard of Oz slot, Ruby Slippers ups the ante when it comes to bonus features. The character symbols, audio and movie clips are again taken from the movie, although most have been tweaked from the original slot. Adjustable paylines mean this version can be played from just 1p per spin. The max bet goes right up to £60 per spin.
The slot has five reels and 30 paylines, with all wins paying from left to right. Wild symbols will substitute for all others, except Jackpot and Scatter.
Each of the main characters has a unique scatter symbol on each reel: Dorothy on Reel 1, Scarecrow on Reel 2, Tin-Man on Reel 3 and Cowardly Lion on Reel 4. Reel 5 can feature one of the Wicked Witch, Crystal Ball or the Wizard. When two or more of the main character scatter symbols lands on Reels 1-4, coupled with one of the scatter symbols landing on Reel 5, a special feature will be awarded.
- Emerald City Free Spins: 5 ‘free’ spins awarded when the Wizard Scatter Symbol fall on Reel 5 coupled with two or more character Scatter Symbols on Reels 1-4. Depending on which characters triggered the bonus, extra modifiers will be awarded.
- Dorothy = 5 extra ‘free’ spins.
- Scarecrow = Extra wild symbols.
- Tin-Man = All wins tripled.
- Cowardly Lion = Stacked wild appears on each spin.
- Find the Broom Feature: Awarded when the Wicked Witch Scatter Symbol falls on reel 5 coupled with two or more character scatter symbols on Reels 1-4. The bonus is a picking game, where you will be prompted to choose emeralds to reveal cash prizes. The characters that triggered the bonus will award the following modifiers if their symbols are uncovered in the game:
- Dorothy = Wicked Witch Saver (extends the bonus).
- Scarecrow = Extra cash with each pick (x4-x10 total bet).
- Tin-Man = awards x3 pick and x4 total bet.
- Cowardly Lion = up to x50 total bet.
- Crystal Ball Feature: Triggered when the Crystal Ball Scatter Symbol lands on Reel 5 and two or more character symbols land on reels 1-4. Each character will reveal a cash amount. The bonus can pay up to x200 the total bet.
The Ruby Slippers Feature can be awarded at any time during the main game. The Good Witch will turn 1-5 reels Wild, as well as potentially applying a x2 or x5 multiplier after winnings have been tallied.
Like the original Wizard of Oz slot, Ruby Slippers will pay a minimum of £120 on five jackpot symbols, even if only betting 1p. However, with multipliers and stacked symbols achievable through special features, much higher wins can be attained.
How To Play Wizard Of Oz Slots For Free
There are a number of ways to play slots for free online, including Wizard of Oz games. Of course, you can simply try out the demo versions. Some casinos, like 888casino, will allow you to play games with free coins without signing up or having an account.
However, we would argue the best way to try out Wizard of Oz slot for free is to take a no deposit bonus offer. This means you can try the game without any risk to your own bank roll, as well as having the chance to walk away with some extra cash should you meet the wagering requirements.
Another option is to join a casino that offers a matched deposit bonus plus free spins. Although, you should always make sure that those free spins are compatible with Wizard of Oz games.
Tips For Playing Wizard Of Oz Slots
As Wizard of Oz and its sequels have become so popular online, you will undoubtedly see adverts for Wizard of Oz slot cheats and similar sure-fire ways to win. This is, of course, nonsense. You cannot cheat the game in any way, nor is there any strategy that guarantees a winning session.
However, we can apply a broad, sensible strategy to playing these types of games at online casinos: The original Wizard of Oz slot and Ruby Slippers both have potential payouts of many times the minimum bet amount, thus even a low stakes player can accumulate a very large payout, especially through one of the special features. Remember, there is no progressive jackpot on offer, so no advantage to be gained by playing for a higher bet. For that reason, we would recommend a low bet amount, perhaps 30p or 60p per spin, across a longer session of play.
The magical feel of the land of Oz and everything that comes with it is fertile ground for creating some of the most innovative online slots around. There is a reason why WMS’ original Oz slot is still popular eight years after its release. While boredom is probably the biggest drawback of playing any slot machine, there is not much chance of that happening with Wizard of Oz games as they have a timeless appeal and almost all are packed with special features.
The most ‘timeless’ aspect of playing slots, however, is big payouts, so with that in mind, these games will have a long while left at the top.